Attorney Sean Lewis:
Attorney Sean Lewis cleans up well. As a lead guitarist in a popular heavy metal rock band since the 80s, Lewis’ standard garb included big hair, black leather and a whole lot of attitude. Nowadays, his hair is a whole lot shorter and he has traded in his guitar for a pen and a passion for helping unauthorized immigrants pursue their dreams as citizens of the United States. And while he still tours occasionally, serenading his worldwide audience with fiery electric guitar solos, Lewis can mainly be found wearing a suit and tie at his Immigration Law Office in Nashville Tennessee where he fights for people undergoing removal proceedings and are in jeopardy of deportation from the U.S..
“After college, I had an awakening…” Sean explains, “…I was living my dream of being a rock star but I saw that so many others were being prevented from achieving theirs, largely because they were victims of circumstance.”
Now, Sean Lewis’ law offices, lovingly named Music City Visa, are helping the sons and daughters of undocumented immigrants, referred to as “Dreamers”, figure out whether or not they can qualify for Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Initiative.
About the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Initiative:
DACA is an Executive Order signed by President Obama last June that will give temporary relief to the sons and daughters of undocumented immigrants who were in danger of being deported from the United States. The Order decriminalizes the status of undocumented immigrants under 31 who meet the following requirements:
• Are under 31 years of age but older than age 15
• Came to the United States before they were 16 years old
• Have lived in the United States for the last five years
• Are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States
• Have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety
Despite his enthusiasm for Obama’s Order, Sean Lewis also advises that “this order has not yet been passed through Congress and made into law” and “strongly encourages those seeking potential benefits under the DACA initiative to consult with an attorney before applying on their own”.
Sean Lewis is an immigration attorney based in Nashville, Tennessee. He may be reached at 615-226-4236.